Friday, January 3, 2014

The Beauty of Lotus Flowers

I love Lotus Flowers, also called water lilies. Maybe it comes from my obsession with water and its calming affect on our minds and bodies.Maybe it's just the shear beauty invoking a guttural response. I don't really know why but I love them. So when Miriam asked us to use the theme flowers for this month's challenge at Miriam's Crafting Supplies, I knew my first project as a member of her DT had to be a lotus. I needed to figure out how to use her supplies to make this happen. Well that wasn't hard! Her metal embellishments are flexible and can be manipulated in so many ways to create differing effects. I took her flat metal embellishments and an acrylic crystal and I was off and running. I created the first video tutorial of 2014 for her team so please watch it below, and after read on for some important things I discovered after making it.



So after trying this for the first time, I discovered that hot glue just doesn't hold well on these. I think because there is no porousness to them. The E6000 worked great but you do need to let it dry 24 hours so I ended up using glossy accents for stability while I waited for that to dry because glossy accents dries faster. Glossy accents isn't element proof though so for maximum impact and staying power use both.

I can't wait to show you the next project that I will do using this gorgeous flower. I'll publish that Wednesday so stay tuned.

I also think I'm going to make one and paint it so it really resembles the whole look of a lotus. Have to get more supplies first though. 

Head on over to Miriam's blog so you can see the challenge rules and create something beautiful of your own to show us. It's all about flowers this month and what could be simpler?

Love ya,
~Deb~


6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Happy New Year Deb, thanks for keeping up with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Sandi! I'm not great at keeping up but I do try to pop in to everyone's blog when I can! :)

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me your words of encouragement. Please do not leave negative comments, this is a happy place!